Saturday, August 31, 2024

Main Maili Tan Maila Mera - Farid Ayaz & Abu Muhammad Qawwal


It's fascinating how modern communication has made the world feel so much smaller. A few years ago, while I was visiting Dubai, I received a message from my dear friend Adnan in Vancouver. Knowing my passion for qawwali, he informed me that Farid Ayaz and Abu Muhammad were performing in the UAE. Thrilled, I reached out to Abu Bhai, who had plans for the evening but kindly contacted the host, who graciously invited me to attend.

During the break, I had the opportunity to speak with Farid Ayaz about a beautiful naat I had heard only once before, performed by the Nizamuddin dargahi qawwals, Ghulam Sabir and Ghulam Waris, who happen to be their distant relatives. To my delight, something resonated with Ayaz, and with a gleam in his eye, he responded, ""aray aray ye toh aaj zaroor pardhein ge. mera bhi jii chaah raha hai""

The performance had that unique touch of Farid Ayaz, with his intricate giraahs interspersed and a lovely, reflective start. It was undoubtedly one of the most beautiful renditions of the famous dargahi kalam "Main Maili Tan Maila Mera.

No comments: